Tuesday 1 February 2011

Smoking - it really is addictive

I used to smoke, not a lot and not often, just enough to enjoy them. At most it was about a pack a week, often when taking the dog out late at night. When the habit started to grow in '06 after a long boring business trip I gave up. Giving up then was aligned with going on holiday. Was grumpy for a few days but the change of location helped detach from the habit.

Since then months would go by between ciggies. Occasionally smoking only when "I am too pissed to know better"; down the pub after a couple of pints of fine english ale.

About 22 days ago I got a pack of 20 and started having one at the end of each day. Not sure why just fancied some. You know in the garden looking at stars and listening to the night sounds of a peaceful neighborhood. mmmmm

Now that was a mistake.

I know what it says on the tin, Smoking Kills. I have seen the health information films full of brown lungs and coughing blood. I know that insurance companies don't give money away and smokers get preferential rates when it comes to annuities ( pay until you die). So there is no excuse but come on, only one a day, what harm could that do ? Well now I know, I have none left and I really really want one. I am not going to get any more; such an ugly habit has to be broken.

Not sure if it was the ceremony or the chemicals that gets you hooked, but hooked I feel. What is spooky about the whole thing is that for the last few days of the packet the certain need for a ciggi was stronger each day and came just a bit earlier each day. I guess that there is just enough chemicals to last 22 hours and kick off the cravings.

I have none left and the nearest shops are shut. If I go hunting for a packet at pub or garage I will know that this is not just a passing fad and the hook is in. Just keep got to keep typing, keep browsing, and burrow into some good TV. I own my destiny and won't be a slave to the chemical works.

Let's see how that goes.
Gannett


No comments: